Image Map

Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Letter to Myself in 10 Years

Look at me all fancy with my PicMonkey skills...


I know I'm a day late on this, but I saw everyone posting it yesterday and loved the idea! Thought I would take a stab at it. It was actually really hard to think of what to say at first, my mind was blank! But when you start to just think about what kind of person you are now and what kind of person you want to be, it starts to flow.

Dear 41-year old me (Yikes),
Well, here we are, a decade older and (hopefully) wiser. I hope you're as happy as I am right now, but more important than that, I hope you're following hard after God and leaning in to Him for everything, because He is everything. I hope you have only deepened your relationship with Him and grown more aware of His voice, more in tune with His call, and more in love with His heart.

I hope you are falling more deeply in love every day with that awesome, crazy guy named Adam. I know he's your very best friend, and I hope you two are still having fun together, laughing at stupid inside jokes until you can't breathe, watching the same TV series on DVD over and over and never getting tired of it, making up your own lyrics to songs (although he will always be better at it than you are) and taking yearly trips to Disney World or somewhere equally childlike and fun.  Never take yourselves too seriously, love each other unconditionally, and I know you'll be just fine. We've already been through a lot together at 31 and 32 respectively, so I know there's nothing you can't face.

I hope you're taking good care of yourself and continuing the healthy habits I am trying to cultivate now. I hope you never take your health for granted and realize how blessed you are to be healthy and strong. I also hope you aren't being harsh with yourself in regards to your appearance. I hope you're not still agonizing over every ounce of weight or dimple in your thighs. Life's so much more than that. And I have it on good authority that Adam thinks you're beautiful just the way you are.

I hope you have come out of your shell more as far as friendships are concerned. I hope you're not letting your shyness and insecurities keep you from reaching out to people to cultivate more friendships and not letting fear keep you from being the one to "make the first move". When you do get past your fear you realize that you're a pretty cool person and people really do like you enough to be your friend.

I hope that no matter what you are doing for a living, you're doing it with all of your heart and as unto Him, not to please others. I hope you have moved past the performance mentality, feeling like you have to achieve a certain level of perfection, success or "togetherness" in life in order to have value and substance.  I hope you are taking time out for quiet, peaceful moments in the midst of the "busy" and realizing that you are already so completely loved and "enough" because of who you are in Christ, not because of what you can accomplish.

I hope you have learned how futile it is to worry and fret and fear over every little contingency in life, and realize that it adds not one thing to your life, it only takes.

I hope you are a person of grace and love.

Sincerely,
31-year old you


Helene in Between Blogtober

 
Thoughts for Thursday

2 comments:

  1. such a great letter to yourself, and i love the part about giving nothing and only taking. so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so well written and my favorite line is "I hope you never take your health for granted and realize how blessed you are to be healthy and strong, " because it's the truth and I tell myself this every single day!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! :) I'd love to hear from you!

I respond to every comment through email, so if you don't get a response make sure you're not a no-reply blogger!